Thursday, July 16, 2015

Week 1 Amsterdam - Can it get any better?!?!

Hello Hello,

I don't even know where to begin....this week has been so crazy and so busy. But it has definitely been one of the greatest weeks. Just full of smiles and laughs. And we all know if you are smiling and laughing then life is great and your happy. And when you're happy the work goes great.

So the beginning of this week was kinda interesting. My old companion, Elder Frisby, got released a little bit early because the missionary who baptized him came to the Netherlands to pick him up. And he was able to go and take him around to some places that he had served. He was super excited and I was happy for him. So I said goodbye to him Monday morning and then Joined Elder Taggart and Elder Eby for two days in Amsterdam. We had a great couple of days together. Were able to go out and and teach a couple of incredible lessons and really see the spirit work on the hearts of the people we met with. It was super fun being able to be with Taggart the last couple of days of his mission. Me and him really got close.

But anyway, when Wednesday morning finally rolled around, it hit me. My mission was about to change for the rest of my time in this beautiful country. Over the past 2 transfers 50 missionaries have gone home and are now being replaced by a bunch of new ones. So just like that I am all of the sudden one of the older missionaries in the mission. I am not going to lie I got a little nervous. And then on top of that white washing, training and District Leader. Kinda a big change to the way my mission has been so far. So as I was sitting on the train heading over to the Sheraton hotel to pick up my new companion. It hit me, harder then it has up to this point. That I NEED to rely 100% on my Savior Jesus Christ. Because I knew I couldn't do it alone. I knew that if i was going to try and go into these new responsibilities alone, i would fail. I sat down and opened my scriptures and just looked and the verse in Philippians and read it over and over. I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." The spirit hit me like a wall, and said, "Elder Parr, trust in me, lean on me, I will strengthen thee, I will help thee." It was a great experience to have. At that moment I just knew everything was going to be alright as I turned to my Savior with all my heart.

Well I finally made it to the hotel and the time had finally come to go and meet my new companion. And you won't believe who it is. Drum roll please........Elder Wade Bringhurst! I walk in to the room and see Elder Bringhurst walking towards me and I am like no way, you have got to be kidding me. It can't be him, am I seriously training one of my buddies from high school. And sure enough I am:)!!!! If only you all could of seen how happy we were when we saw each other. Both of our faces were just glowing. (Well that's what President said at least haha). It was just amazing. I can't even Begin to say how excited I am to be working with Him. We are going to have an absolutely amazing transfer together because he is such a stud. If only you could see him already out here speaking dutch like a champ, and working hard. I have the best greenie in the world!!

It has only been 3 days of so with each other and we are already having the time of our lives. We have already seen some amazing things happen. Have found potential investigators left and right, and have taught some amazing lessons. Unfortunately I don't have the time to share them all but I will share one.

So, I don't know if any of you know, but I have been waiting my entire mission to find someone out playing basketball and go up and talk to them and play. Well it finally happened. After knocking doors for a solid 40 minutes and not seeing anything we hopped on our bikes and I say a younger guy playing by himself. I said "Bringhurst I know you are down for some ball lets go talk to this guy." So we went over to him and started talking to him about basketball and such. And then the questions started rolling. As we were playing our game of horse he continued to ask questions about the gospel. And we were able to talk to him about what we believe and why we believe it. It ended up being an amazing experience for Elder Bringhurst and myself. I am excited to see what happens with him and we continue to work with him.

I love this work so much. Missions are amazing and the greatest blessing. I know this church is true! I love you all so much. Thanks for everything. And Maegan, congratulation, you did it!:) 18 months in Romania being an amazing example to me and the rest of our family. I love you.

Have an amazing week!!

Love, Elder Parr
#ReturnWithHonor

Bringhurst and I at the Sheraton:)


No comments:

Post a Comment